KUALA LUMPUR: The additional haj quota approved by the Saudi Arabia's government has cut the waiting time for pilgrims who are on Tabung Haji's waiting list by up to 13 years.
Minister in the Prime Minister's Department Datuk Seri Jamil Khir Baharom (pic)told the Dewan Rakyat that the waiting time has been shortened from 102 to 89 years for some 2.5 million Tabung Haji depositors who are waiting to perform their haj pilgrimage.
"The visit by Saudi Arabia's King Salman Abdulaziz Al-Saud to Malaysia recently had bring good news to our pilgrims who had waited for a long time.
"With the additional quota, the waiting period has been shorted by 13 years for which we are grateful," he said in reply to a supplementary question from Datuk Takiyuddin Hassan (PAS-Kota Baru) during Question Time on Monday.
Takiyuddin had sought the government's assurance over whether depositors will continue to enjoy the benefit provided by Tabung Haji in the future.
It was reported that the haj quota this year had been increased to 27,900 pilgrims from 22,230 from previously since 2013.
To an initial question from Dr Mohd Hatta Md Ramli (Amanah-Kuala Krai), Jamil said that the hibah (income distribution) of 4.25% to an estimated 9.1 million Tabung Haji depositors was competitive compared to other conventional and Islamic financial institutions.'
"Tabung Haji had announced on Feb 3 that the hibah rate for the financial year of 2016 to depositor will be 4.25% with an additional hibah haj 1.5% for those who have yet to perform their pilgrimage.
"The total distribution to depositors will be at RM2.88bil," he said.
Jamil added that Tabung Haji's financial performance remain positive despite facing various global and local uncertainties which is expected to persist until next year.