There Are 17,000 South African Muslims Still Waiting To Attend Hajj
There Are 17,000 South African Muslims Still Waiting To Attend HajjThere are 17,000 South African Muslims on the waiting list to go on the annual Hajj pilgrimage, The South African Haj and Umrah Council (Sahuc) told HuffPost SA on Friday. Many of them have been waiting since 2013 to do the once-in-a-lifetime trip.
The backlog comes after Saudi Arabian officials drastically reduced the quota of South Africans allowed to enter the Kingdom during the Hajj period. Over 2.5 million Muslims attended the event, which takes place this weekend in the Kingdom of Saudi Arabia, and is compulsory for Muslim believers who have the means to do so, according to the Qu'ran.
Twitter Ads info and privacy
Only 2,500 South Africans will attend the pilgrimage this year, the Sahuc says, which costs around R40,000 per person for six weeks, excluding flights.
President Shaheen Essop expressed his disappointment with Saudi authorities in 2015, when the quota for South Africans was first reduced.
"South Africa will only be able to send 3,000 pilgrims for Hajj this year, making it the lowest turnout in decades. Before the implementation of the Haj quota system an average of 7,000 to 10,000 South African performed Haj annually," Shaheen said.
But Sahuc Secretary General, Hassan Thoonara, told HuffPost that for those who couldn't go to Hajj there is another pilgrimage event called Umrah, which is cheaper, and sees fewer people attending.
- The Twelve Months of the Islamic Lunar Calendar
- Hajj Requirements/Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia: Hajj/Umrah Pilgrimage
- Umrah packages by H.Mujaddedia hajj travels& tours
- Saudi Arabia to increase Hajj quotas for first time in five year
- Saudi Arabia allocates Indonesia haj quota of 221,000 per year
- Indonesia would welcome bigger haj quota
- Saudi Arabia increases India's annual Haj quota to 1.70 lakh
- Haj quota increases ruled out by Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia approves additional haj quota
- Indonesia: Saudi Arabia agrees to increase Hajj quota
- Indonesia says Saudi Arabia increased its Hajj quota
- Saudi Arabia rolls out 'biggest increase' in India's Haj quota, hikes it by 34,500
- India gets quota of 136,020 pilgrims for Haj
- SA Hajj quota re-instated as stricter accreditation process outlined
- There Are 17,000 South African Muslims Still Waiting To Attend Hajj
- Malaysia’s Haj quota is 30,200 this year
- Haj quota for pilgrims restored to 27,900 this year, says Tabung Haji
- Malaysia's haj quota restored to 30,200 pilgrims this year
- Malaysia’s haj quota for this year back to 27,800, says Jamil Khir
- Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 30,000 Bangladeshis to miss Hajj this year due to quota restriction
- Bangladesh Haj quota reduction may continue for next year
- Haj quota for Pakistan increased
- Pakistan urges Saudi govt to increase its Hajj quota
- Iraq’s hajj quota to increase by 2,200 next year
- Iran pilgrims to join this year's Hajj: Saudi Arabia
- UZBEKISTAN: Over 160 year wait to go on haj pilgrimage?
- Uzbekistan: Is Hike in Mecca Pilgrimage Quota Another Sign of Thaw?
- Uzbekistan to ask Saudi Arabia to increase Umrah quota