Haj quota increases ruled out by Saudi Arabia
Haj quota increases ruled out by Saudi ArabiaRiyadh rejects requests by 40 countries to increase their Haj quota this year because of development projects now under way in Mecca and Medina.
RIYADH // Saudi Arabia has rejected requests by 40 countries to increase their Haj quota this year because of development projects now under way in Mecca and Medina.
"The ministry has apologised to all countries which had asked to increase the number of their pilgrims this year ... [because of] the giant development projects in Mecca and Medina which make it difficult to accommodate more numbers," Bandar Al Hajjar, the Haj minister, was reported as saying.
Every Muslim country has a Haj quota of 1,000 pilgrims per million inhabitants.
The quota system was imposed after an attempt by Saudi police to stifle a demonstration by Iranian pilgrims holding an anti-US and anti-Israel protest in 1987 sparked clashes in which 402 people died, including 275 Iranians.
Last year, nearly three million Muslim pilgrims performed the Haj, the world's largest annual gathering.
The authorities had not indicated that they would be able to accommodate more pilgrims this year.
Saudi King Abdullah has officially launched a 40-billion riyal (Dh39.2bn) extension project of the Grand Mosque in Mecca.
The peak of this year's Haj is expected to take place on or near October 25.
The Haj is one of the five pillars of Islam and must be performed at least once in a lifetime by all those Muslims who are able to do so.
- The Twelve Months of the Islamic Lunar Calendar
- Hajj Requirements/Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia: Hajj/Umrah Pilgrimage
- Umrah packages by H.Mujaddedia hajj travels& tours
- Saudi Arabia to increase Hajj quotas for first time in five year
- Saudi Arabia allocates Indonesia haj quota of 221,000 per year
- Indonesia would welcome bigger haj quota
- Saudi Arabia increases India's annual Haj quota to 1.70 lakh
- Haj quota increases ruled out by Saudi Arabia
- Saudi Arabia approves additional haj quota
- Indonesia: Saudi Arabia agrees to increase Hajj quota
- Indonesia says Saudi Arabia increased its Hajj quota
- Saudi Arabia rolls out 'biggest increase' in India's Haj quota, hikes it by 34,500
- India gets quota of 136,020 pilgrims for Haj
- SA Hajj quota re-instated as stricter accreditation process outlined
- There Are 17,000 South African Muslims Still Waiting To Attend Hajj
- Malaysia’s Haj quota is 30,200 this year
- Haj quota for pilgrims restored to 27,900 this year, says Tabung Haji
- Malaysia's haj quota restored to 30,200 pilgrims this year
- Malaysia’s haj quota for this year back to 27,800, says Jamil Khir
- Number of Hajj pilgrims from Azerbaijan to exceed quota this year
- 30,000 Bangladeshis to miss Hajj this year due to quota restriction
- Bangladesh Haj quota reduction may continue for next year
- Haj quota for Pakistan increased
- Pakistan urges Saudi govt to increase its Hajj quota
- Iraq’s hajj quota to increase by 2,200 next year
- Iran pilgrims to join this year's Hajj: Saudi Arabia
- UZBEKISTAN: Over 160 year wait to go on haj pilgrimage?
- Uzbekistan: Is Hike in Mecca Pilgrimage Quota Another Sign of Thaw?
- Uzbekistan to ask Saudi Arabia to increase Umrah quota